And away we go...

Welcome to my world...Here I am ,pen to paper or shall I say 'Word to Window' and I am off to explore this world... I am a "watcher" not a "doer" and I am ready to rock, roll and 'rite... Come along, if you dare, ya never know what we'll find there!

Sunday, July 4, 2010

I Got The Music in Me!

Happy Fourth of July!
 
Great Day to think about the past...the days when we had picnics in the backyard and family and friends and swimming pools and watermelons and cold soda and beer! And we always had hot dogs and hamburgers. Not much has changed in the menu, but lotsa other things have changed...

I promised myself to keep it light in my writing ventures, so I was thinking about the past, nothing political, merely sentimental! Watching The Glenn Miller Story this morning made me think of the way my grandparents always made music an important part of their lives...
a "sentimental journey" if you will...

Our memories play tricks on us as we grow older and we can't remember names, places, dates, not even why we walked into the next room, but we remember music! where we were, who was with us, the words to the whole song, practically! Why is this? I dunno, but I have to say that my
"heart strings" pull and tug every time I hear a song that my grandpa loved on "The Lawrence Welk
Show" or my grandma played a song or Christmas Carol on the piano. My dad played the same serenade Tangerine, on his organ time and again. My mom played Patsy Cline and Eddy Arnold ;
 talk about being country when "country wasn't cool"

My brother played the drums and my sister played the clarinet and I played the most eclectic instrument of all time! the radio! and I must say, to this day, I am still pretty good at it!
I haven't missed a beat!

Growing up in the sixties was awesome with Rick Shaw and WQAM blasting through every room in the house. Music was free and we had a song for every event or mood in our lives. We had dances on Friday nights and we walked miles through the neighborhoods to get to Sonny's for pizza or steak hoagies and then home. We had our portable radios with us too...they were called "transistors"

And where were you when The Beatles were on the Ed Sullivan Show? I was at home in front of the black and white TV, falling in love with Paul McCartney, just like a million others. And the love affair has never ended with their music...

So on this day of celebrations, take the time to think about the music you are listening to and the memories that you connect them to and I dare you to tell me that you don't shed a tear or two when you do remember. Whether it be your grandparents music, your parent's music, your music, your kids music or your grand kids music, it is all so very burned into the memory banks of our minds...Go ahead and make a "withdrawal" but don't forget to leave room for new "deposits" along the way!

One more thing, turn on the oldies, but goodies! Have your kids listen to your stuff and you will have raised them right and "taught them well" and they will be able to have conversations with any and all generations with a common thread, Music!

I sign off singing along to The Cyrkle from 1966:

It's a Turn Down Day  and I dig it!

5 comments:

  1. Well,,,,,, seeing as I only had 5 clarinet lessons as my clarinet was ripped out of my hand for lack of funds for lessons, it hardly makes me a Glen Miller! I'll never forget that prick of a band teacher saying "I don't like quitters" to a impressionable and emotionally scarred 11 year old. May he rot in hell.. maybe he is? He would be quite OLD by now. Ugly bastard

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree ...I feel like I have lived through the 40's sometimes since I know so many of the songs and have heard so many stories from my mom. She was a jitterbug queen in her day and she can remember words to almost every song from 60 yrs ago...crazy! The words to songs we love are etched in our hearts. Thanks for mentioning "Turned down day"...need to add that one to my ipod!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl, you certainly were not Glenn Miller, but had you continued with lessons, I dare say you would have given Benny Goodman a run for his money! Now as far as that teacher, I shall address that in the future for you....Nancy, glad you liked this, it's all because of you that I am doing this blog. You are a great friend and i appreciate your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete